Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Read & Learn Outer Space

Memory Box- Moon Sand
For our first week of storytime, we went into outer space. I've added a  new element to our storytime to replace our matching game. I always have more children coming in the summer and different people each week, which makes it difficult to do the same routine I do during the school year. I made moon sand for our Memory Box, original idea from Abby the Librarian. I hid a star under the sand and had the children guess.


We read some outer space books like Goodnight Moon 1, 2, 3 by Margaret Wise Brown and Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me by Eric Carle. I found out my summer group loves counting by the enthusiast shouts for rhymes and the counting book.

"Ten Little Spaceships"
by Robin Currie
from 1, 000 Fingerplays & Action Rhymes
One little, two little, three little spaceships,
Four little, five little, six little spaceships,
Seven little, eight little, nine little spaceships,
Ten little spaceships go.
Countdown? Ready?
10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0
BLAST OFF!

We pretended to be comets, then spaceships with rainbow streamers. Their favorite rhyme of the week was  the one I shared, "Ten Little Spaceships".


Last, we made name rockets with squares and triangles. We embellished with glow-in-the-dark glitter glue and star stampers.


Shibley Smiles

1 comment:

Please leave a message, it makes me happy!