Monday, May 14, 2012

Book Review: How to Babysit a Grandpa by Jean Reagan


I had lots of good books to review today like Kali's Song by Jeanette Winter, What We Wear: Dressing Up Around the World by Maya Ajmera and I'll Save You Bobo! by Eileen & Marc Rosenthal. However, I chose to share How to Babysit a Grandpa, because I saw my Bobo in it.

"Babysitting a grandpa is fun-- if you know how. When your grandpa rings the doorbell, what should you do? HIDE!" Through the window of the first illustration accompanying the above lines, you see a little bottom peaking out from behind the chair. Each page has tips, like how to stay quiet while hiding:

  1. Pretend you're a shark waiting for lunch
  2. Act like a pirate spy
  3. Be as still as a lion statue 

The pirate spy is very Bobo. The grandson also dresses up in several costumes (very, very Bobo).

I have several favorites from this book. In the Snacks for a Grandpa section, olives served on fingertips. In the How to Entertain a Grandpa section, show off your muscles. In the How to Say Goodbye to a Grandpa section, give him a hug and a kiss, a hug and a kiss, a hug and a kiss then ask, "When can I babysit you again?"

The text made this book for me. The illustrations are bright and remind me of David Shannon with a bit more polish. The expressions on the grandpa and grandson's faces are just right. I've added this one to my Grandpas book list.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun book! I'll have to pin this so I remember to check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message, it makes me happy!