Friday, May 25, 2012

Flannel Friday: 1, 2, Buckle My Shoe

Two Little Bluebirds
I've got some more Mother Goose on the Loose fun this week. MGOL is wonderful because it gives you the skeleton with the ability to add your own guts! (Note: I've been spending way too much time working on the body with my 3-year-old). The suggested rhyme for MGOL is "Two Little Dickie Birds." I found these wood and flannel birds at Hobby Lobby, though and adjusted the rhyme to go with them. Aren't they cute (after Easter sale, too!)?

Two Little Bluebirds
Two little bluebirds
Sitting on a cloud
One named soft
And one named LOUD
Fly away soft
Fly away LOUD
Come back soft
Come back LOUD

1, 2, Buckle My Shoe
 Last week, I shared an interactive flannel with Humpty Dumpty. This week, I'm sharing another one that works well with older toddlers as well as large groups. I start off the rhyme with the pieces like this. Then, say the rhyme as I move the pieces to suit the actions.

1, 2, All in a row
1, 2, Buckle My Shoe
1, 2, buckle my shoe
(fit buckle on shoe)
3, 4, knock on the door
(knock)
5, 6, pick up sticks
(pick up)
7, 8, lay them straight
(place neatly)
9, 10, a big white hen.

With older toddlers, the children try their favorite action. If there is a small group, they can try the whole rhyme. For a larger group, I have lots of different hens on hand. I hand out a color to each child (several of the same colors, too). Then, we say the rhyme together with a different ending a few times. Each child has a turn to bring up their hen and put her on the board.

Thank you for checking out my flannels. Mel is hosting the round-up this week if you'd like to see more. Check out the Flannel Friday blog if you'd like to get involved or want to find out what it's all about.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Courtney!

    I love the "soft" and "LOUD" aspects of the bird rhyme. Is that your idea? Or is it from the MGOL program? We have the book for that program but I have never flipped through it. I think I'll try to find the time to take a peek at it soon. :o)

    Thanks for sharing two more wonderful ideas! I love reading your contributions each week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not mine. The MGOL rhyme is the same, only with dickie birds instead of bluebirds. Even if you don't have time to look through the book, I suggest listening to the CD that comes with it. It gives an overview of the program and you can listen while going about your other work.

      I'm so happy to have found the Flannel Friday group. Since I work at a branch and am a department of one, I don't get much interaction with adults who have the same interests. I love connecting with other librarians and flannel enthusiasts each week.

      Delete
  2. The first one is one of my very favourites to do - I do it with 2 crow fingerpuppets from Folkmanis and do the traditional Jack and Jill rhyme first. Then I sit them in a row and have one fly away fast and one slow. Then I do soft and loud. Boy, do we love the loud at my library! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message, it makes me happy!