Wednesday, May 23, 2012

WMCIR: Shout! Shout it Out!


Harper's book is a re-imagining of the classic poem "There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly." This book works well for an Outer Space theme and Transportation theme. We've been reading it for the past month. I like the picture cues that make it interactive and help with sequencing. Bobo likes the lady getting the star for her grandson (the "lady" looks like my mom).


The illustrations tell the story in this book. The text is sparse and leads into the pictures. So, the little boy is fast like a "horse" but the text just says "fast as" with a picture of a horse. I love books where my pre-reader can read with me. The first two-page spread shows a little boy with his grandma waving good-bye to his mama and papa. Then, we learn all the things to boy is: strong, fast, tall, messy. When the special day arrives, he is something he's never been before "a brother." You have to see this book to appreciate it. My favorite illustration is the very last page where the boy is lying on a blanket with is baby. Bobo's favorite is LOUD like an elephant.


I love, love, love Denise Fleming. This book is a great show me what you know book. If you know it, shout it out! 1, 2, 3s and A, B, Cs, colors and animals, let your little one shout everything they know. Bobo misunderstood me the first time I said it, so he kept saying "Cut! Cut it out!" Then, I'd correct him and he'd have a fit of giggles.

Who's joining their library's summer reading club this year?


1 comment:

  1. All three of these look wonderful! That second one looks so sweet, and I think my toddler would LOVE the last one. I will definitely be on the lookout for it.

    Yes, we'll be joining several library reading programs within the next week! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message, it makes me happy!