Saturday, December 15, 2012

Messy Learning Lab: Gingerbread Cloud Dough and Clay


The two messiest activities in the Messy Learning Lab are gingerbread cloud dough and clay.

Recipe:
7 cups flour
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 container of cinnamon (Dollar Tree)


We started out with the dough in the box, but the children were having trouble reaching it so I dumped it onto the table. The dough feels soft and fluffy but packs well to make shapes. They pretended to make muffins and cupcakes. The dough smells delicious!


The dough is actually easy to clean up with a broom and a mop. However, it created a slippery floor. I used the puzzle mat from storytime as a non-slip surface around the table. The dough on the table can be used again by brushing it all back in the box.

Messiest Activity!!!
I purchased clay from Discount School Supply two years ago for a Summer Reading Club program. We used almost half of it and I saved the rest. Since it dried out quite a bit, I soaked it in water before the program. I wanted a pliable consistency and boy did I get it! 

The children loved squirting the clay with water to create a gooey masterpiece. This table took the longest to clean. My husband used one of the clay tools to scrape all the extra clay off. We used heavy duty wipes and spray to get the rest of the mess up. J also mopped the floor around the table.

Did you miss any of the Messy Learning Lab?

Next week, I'll be sharing activities from the second MLL.
Sharing with Kids Co-op and It's Playtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, it makes me happy!