Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Letter B books for Batman


Bobo has discovered the "easy reader" section of the library. This is where the beginning reader books are housed as well as beginning chapter books. Batman: The Brave and the Bold is a level 3 series of chapter books, which I find challenging for beginners. I read about 2 chapters aloud each night and it takes 20-30 minutes depending on how many questions Bobo asks. The vocabulary is challenging, so I can't imagine how long it would take an independent reader to finish.

Sidekicks Save the Day! begins with Robin, Aqualad and Speedy as children. They want more responsibility with missions. The heroes still think they have a lot to learn. Then, we jump to the sidekicks being grown up and finally getting a mission of their own. I think these books rely heavily on the show, but I haven't seen  it. The illustrations seem to be stills of the show with some blurriness. It is not my favorite thing to read aloud, but I still give it my all because Bobo:
1. Chose something on his own.
2. Is excited about reading these.
3. Is building his memory and anticipation by reading a few chapters each night.


Batman Versus Man-Bat, yes! The title is enough to reel you in, or a least me, and Bobo. Batman's enemy in this book is a bat who looks like a man, as opposed to a  man who dresses as a bat. This book is a level 2 and much more my speed. The story can be completed in one sitting and the story is interesting. Plus, it's really fun to say MAN-BAT in an ominous voice. The illustrations are vibrant and fit the mood and size of the book. 


And my pick is from the picture book section. Batman and the Toxic Terror features my favorite villain, Poison Ivy. The large pictures and minimal text make this Batman book ideal for preschoolers. Batman faces mutant tree and flies using the bat-glider. It takes place on Earth Day, so it would be a fun read to share that day as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, it makes me happy!