Monday, January 14, 2013

Messy Learning Lab: Noodles


Vibrant, rainbow noodles, fun! I cooked four boxes of different types of  noodles with lots of oil Ooey Gooey Lady style. After I drained the noodles, I added liquid watercolor or food coloring. Either method creates brilliant colors. The blue noodles are neon blue food coloring.


Add some cooking utensils and you've got a great sensory experience.


I used two boxes of uncooked noodles mixed with liquid watercolors to set up a lacing activity. Every mom needs a macaroni necklace in her jewelry box. Plastic needles make lacing through the noodles easy for even the smallest hands.


I suggest tying a large bead on the end to prevent the noodles from sliding off. Penne noodles work the best as they have the largest openings. These necklaces make a wonderful homemade present.

Sharing with Tuesday Tots.

5 comments:

  1. I love this! My son is very allergic to wheat so I can't do this :( (gluten free noodles are expensive.....) But I think we'll make a necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun! Love all the colors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, great post! Thanks for sharing it on Tuesday Tots. I've featured it on this week's TT. If you'd like to see it, it's here http://www.learnwithplayathome.com/2013/01/sensory-play-ideas.html# Look forward to seeing what you link up this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried colouring pasta, it looks great! Does the use of oil mean that the colours come off on the kid's hands, or Mum's neck, though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used oil so the pasta wouldn't stick together. I think it also made the color more vibrant. The color did not come off at all. The dried pasta I dyed for another project didn't have any problems either.

      Delete

Please leave a message, it makes me happy!