Monday, January 7, 2013

Messy Learning Lab: Water and Glowing Fun


The slime I made for the Water and Glowing Messy Learning Lab was a failure. Yep, I think I let the solution sat in the Borax too long. It would stretch a little, then break apart.


It still had an interesting texture and looked beautiful mixed together. Oh, and it bounced!


I found some test tubes and goggles at Discount School Supply that are perfect for preschoolers. The water is tinted with food coloring, yellow, red and blue.


Little scientists work really hard.


In addition to water beads and baby water beads, I also set up watercolor painting on the "water" side of the room.


On the glow-in-the-dark side of the room, I made GID playdough. You add GID paint to any play dough recipe. I didn't like the texture of the play dough after adding the paint, though. It was really sticky. Maybe I should use less paint?


A local furniture store donated a large box for me to poke holes in and stick lots of glow sticks all over.


I expected the glow sticks to wind up in little hands and was not disappointed. At one point, they spanned the length of the room!


The glowing sensory box had hedgeballs, beads, stars, rocks, glow sticks and rattles.


As all the glowing materials need time to charge, I left the lights on in the room for several hours before opening the doors. I also left mini-flashlights at the door for the children to use while in the room.


I set up a black light station with items I had on hand that would glow.


The yellow highlighters worked best on the coloring mat. The white farm animal puppets also worked great under the black light. I have an inexpensive point and shoot camera, so it was difficult to get good pictures in the dark (what with the constant movement).

Not pictured is the glow-in-the-dark silly putty, which turned out to be a favorite with the parents. It's great to play with on hard wood floors and easy to pick up. And that wraps up the water and glowing fun!

Sharing with Tuesday Tots and For the Kid's Fridays.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, it makes me happy!