Friday, January 18, 2013

Preschool Trays

(Age Four)


The trays this week are based off of mommy's reading and discovery time for Basic Montessori: Learning Activities for Under-Fives by David Gettman. I try to read at least one non-fiction book a month in addition to my reading for fun, work and review.

I learned about the five areas of work in the Montessori method, Practical Life, Sensorial, Language, Mathematics and Geography & Cultural Studies. Gettman offers explanation and examples of each area.


We are still working our way through Bobo's science kit by Learning Resources. I'm not sure what area it fits in with Montessori. We talked about which items he thought would float and tried it out.


The block puzzles from allourdays works on math.


This vintage set of dominoes came in our early learning bag from the state college this month. You can work on math with them. We also had fun stacking them and knocking them down, creating patterns, making shapes and learning about cause and effect.


Wooden duck puzzle. Again, not sure where it fits in with Montessori, but I'm still learning. I've read many preschool and homeschool books which have all suggested a puzzle and building area. Bobo loves puzzles.


The pouring lentils tray is directly from the Basic Montessori book. It works on the practical skill of pouring.


Colorful scented candles work for a sensorial tray. Identify the scent by sniffing, the answers are on the bottom.

I'll be incorporating more Montessori ideas in our weekly trays. We are working on language skills with the Superhero ABCs each week as well. I'm sharing with Finished Friday and Montessori Monday.

2 comments:

  1. I think that duck puzzle is amazing! I'm not sure where it fits in the montessori world, but I definitely know that puzzles are great for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. puzzles are sensorial material. They help with spacial thinking, reasoning, and the good 'ole trial and error. All foundation pieces for science and math. Excellent choice of works for these children listed here. Love the candle idea!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message, it makes me happy!