Friday, April 27, 2012

Flannel Friday: Rainbow Kittens


Rainbow Kittens
Six little kittens found a box of paint.
The jumped right in...their mother will faint!
The first little kitten came out red.
"I'll be orange," the second one said.
The third little kitten turned bright yellow.
"I'll be green," said the next little fellow.
The fifth kitten said, "My favorite is blue."
"Purple for me," said the sixth with a mew.
Dancing home the little kittens go
To show their mother a KITTEN RAINBOW!

"Rainbow Kittens" is a favorite of mine. This is the third version I've used since starting at the library. Miss Angela used our cat Ellison die-cut and laminated them. I like how she cut the hook and loop circles to look like a smile.

I don't usually use a rhyme with this story. First, I put out the colors and we say them all. Then, we count the kittens as I put them up. This week, I asked "What baby animal is a kitten?" Finally, the kittens get into some trouble.


First, the kitten is tentative and puts in a paw. Then, "OOPS!" he fell in and turned...


Giggles erupt each time this happens. When all the kittens fall in and change color, they set off to find their mama forming a kitten rainbow.


When mama sees the kittens,


She has to give each a bath. But cats don't take baths like people do,


Lick, lick, lick. There, all clean again!


The books I read for our Rainbow storytime:
A Rainbow of My Own by Don Freeman
My Many Colored Days by Dr. Seuss
Red, Blue and Yellow, Too! by Scholastic- I read this to the older children. The illustrations are balloon animals!
What Makes a Rainbow? by Betty Ann Schwartz
Duckie's Rainbow by Frances Barry for the babies.

Storytime ABCs is hosting this week.



Shibley Smiles

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I love it- super cute. We both posted about kittens today. I'm thinking about doing a rainbow week with my little man. I'll have to pin this. Thanks for sharing and for stopping by Creative and Curious Kids!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Miss Angela suggested doing Rainbows for a storytime week, I told her I could have fun with rainbows every week! Thanks.

      Delete
  2. So adorable. Love this idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is absolutely adorable! adding it to my pinterest felt and flannel story board! http://pinterest.com/andiejaye/felt-and-flannel-fun/

    thanks for stopping by my blog the other day! also following you now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Your blog is a lot of fun. I'll check out your pinterest board. Love flannel!

      Delete

Please leave a message, it makes me happy!