Wednesday, April 25, 2012

What My Child Is Reading: Something old, Lots of new!


Little monkey has lost his mommy, but the butterfly helps him look. I sang the butterfly part to the tune of "Hush Little Baby." The monkey gives the butterfly clues to help find the mama, like she's "bigger than me." The animals the butterfly finds, like the elephant, made Bobo laugh. This is a great interactive book with a little science and a surprise ending. Published in 2008, it is also my "old" pick. Now, for the new!


A new Elmer book, and a superhero character too! Super El gets caught in a bush and tears his super suit. Elmer helps him get to Aunt Zelda to mend it without being seen by the other animals. How embarrassing! Bobo loves rainbow, so he adores Elmer. Our favorite part was finding Aunt Zelda. We first saw her with a group of elephants, but it was easy to pick her out of the crowd.


"Cave Boy had lots of things. Rocks. Sticks. A club. But no pet." The simple illustrations in this book are perfect for a toddler. I love the caveman speech and had lots of fun imitating it. Cave Boy has to find the right pet for his family, not too big and not too allergenic. At the end, he has some problem solving to do.


We love this non-fiction series with foldout pages. Bobo loved all the little ninjas, like him. The book goes over common karate terms, warm-ups and stances. Our favorite was the criss-cross applesauce block, which we used all weekend.

What is your child reading? I love hearing about books!

8 comments:

  1. Cute selections! I love Bob Shea. I will check out Me Want Pet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob Shea rocks! I watched a presentation he gave on Youtube and couldn't stop laughing.

      Delete
  2. Elmer amd Super El looks like something my youngest would love. I'll be looking for that in our next library visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your youngest is anything like BoBo, then superheroes are a sure fire bet for fun.

      Delete
    2. For some reason, I can only leave a reply, not a comment. :-)

      Thank you so much for linking up to Read Aloud Thursday this week! All of these are new-to-me titles, and this post makes me want to hunt up an Elmer book, which is a series I confess to never having read before.

      I look forward to many more RATs with you and Bobo!

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Amy. Bobo loves Elmer. The first book is about being different and how to deal with it. I'm so happy to have found a Read Aloud group!

      Delete
  3. Cute books. We really liked Elmer too when daughter was younger. Thanks for joining WMCIR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving WMCIR. Groups that celebrate children's literature are the best!

      Delete

Please leave a message, it makes me happy!